Friday, August 16, 2013

2013: The Year of Macaulay Culkin

I'm just going to say it. I love drag queens. My friends--who are so lucky to hear all about my obsession as I spew at the mouth (an expression I've grown quite fond of)--couldn't pretend to be more supportive. It all started when I watched Party Monster a few months ago. Can we talk about this movie? It's incredible. The costumes, acting, general outrageousness, and storyline--it's all magical. Before I could process the awesome, I was balls deep in Michael Alig's life, pining for "Disco Bloodbath," which, of course, is the novel upon which the movie is based. Acting-wise, besides Macaulay, we have a fabulous Seth Green, a perfect Chloƫ Sevingy, a one-eyed Dylan McDermott, MARILYN MANSON as the weirdest character in the history of film, and more. Have you seen this damn movie? It's on Netflix, so you have literally no excuse.




Agggh, this trailer makes me all giddy in a glittery, dreamy way. I want to be a club kid. One of my favorite things about film in general is its ability to romanticize even the darkest of situations. A sort of black humor, documentary-style story of a lifestyle, Party Monster does this fantastically. It's so well done that overdosing, young heartbreak, and murder simply become consequences of an extraordinary life--one that combats the routine humdrum of the drearies and normals. Which is obviously appealing for a cat like myself. Bottom line, I think you'd like it.

Back to the present, I'm not watching this movie right meow. I'm watching Richie Rich. From sweater vests, Macaulay's trademark side part, and the emblematic "Mount Richmore," this movie's got it all. And it's just a lovely thing to see how far my sweet blondie changed in the years in between the two films. What a shame about his shitty parents, huh?



Macaulay, you own my dreams, you feed my nightmares--love you, boo. Thanks for the escape into the awesome with your mad acting skillz. Also, if you like poetry, there's some shit below for you. I wrote it in response to, *you won't believe it,* PARTY MONSTER. So, as Marcel the Shell would say, "read on." Just a fun little tidbit: Marilyn Manson lyrics are strewn about with the poem. So, uhh, cool.



Creature of the Night or “You’re Afraid of Reality”


Darling I’m fabulous
Everything you’re dying to be
I’ll make you a superstar
A dancing princess of fame and money
You’ll be my new boyfriend
And The Beautiful People will move to the sounds
Of ecstasy and blind sex
Synthetic hair and filthy mouths
We are infinite and the road of excess is plush
Crisp collars unravel and asphyxiate between my fingertips
Coma White and fleeting
I’m the creator of the night and everyone loves me
“You’re not Peter Pan.”

Come with me and the night is conquerable
Leather shorts and sequins on strings
Lavish parties with starships and fake blood
Hello love, where are your wings?
Glittered red lips and a cocaine mustache
Let me introduce you to Paulie
He used to be a hat maker
Now he’s a drug dealer to the dream scene
The Nobodies have No Reflection
Lines and mountains and mirrors and tubes
Flood the basement with Disposable Teens
Neon youth and sugar smiles
I took so much I hoped I would die
“Congratulations on your first overdose.”

Don’t feed the drug child
He’ll sell you for suicide and a chance at love
Sweet Dreams (are made of this)
How do you like my UFO?
The cat may be dead but My Monkey lives
We have to do something about this terrible mess
We’ve taken all the drugs
Promise you’ll never leave me
Are You The Rabbit?
Give me your hand and I’ll take you to rehab
We’ll run away and start new and fresh
But Tourniquets always Leave a Scar

“You’ll get better and everything will all get better.”






No comments:

Post a Comment