Monday, June 20, 2011

Mr. Jeff Buckley



I don't have the words to explain how I feel when I listen to Jeff Buckley sing. His voice is so pure and complex and honest, it evokes an incredibly intense emotion that seems to be injected directly into the listener just by hearing the song. He takes you to another world, where music is life, and his poetry is all you need to know. You feel everything he feels when you listen to him sing, and that's a beautiful thing.

Lover, You Should've Come Over 




And the lyrics, oh my the lyrics. Just poetry on the most fantastic drugs I could ever imagine. I often sit perplexed how he makes his songs in transform from words into imagery, like the song is coming to life even if your're just reading the lyrics. Just think how amazing it will be when actually sings the poetry... Yes, just as expected. Mind-blowing.  

"All Flowers In Time"
all flowers in time bend towards the sun
i know you say that there's no-one for you
but here is one,
all flowers in time bend towards the sun
i know you say that there's no-one for you
but here is one, here is one... here is one

"Grace"
there's the moon asking to stay
long enough for the clouds to fly me away
well it's my time coming, i'm not afraid to die
my fading voice sings of love,
but she cries to the clicking of time
oh, time
wait in the fire...
and she weeps on my arm
walking to the bright lights in sorrow
oh drink a bit of wine we both might go tomorrow
oh my love
and the rain is falling and i believe
my time has come
it reminds me of the pain
i might leave
leave behind
wait in the fire...
and i feel them drown my name
so easy to know and forget with this kiss
i'm not afraid to go but it goes so slow


But, as you may know, Jeff Buckley's life was short lived.  At the ripe age of 30, he died in an accidental drowning incident in the Mississippi River. What a tragedy to lose such a beautiful musician and man. A friend once told me that even though it was a heartbreaking loss that he died at such a young age, we will always remember him at this pinnacle. He had gained great recognition and respect, and he left the perfect legacy in his soulful music. For all you've written and performed, Mr. Buckley, the world owes you appreciation. You died a legend and your music will live on forever.


No comments:

Post a Comment